Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dear Freshman Me: Attitude is Everything

Did you just look at the calendar and happen to see it was the end of July and nearly pass out and burst into tears? Yeah, I did. How is summer almost over? Where did time go? Did I really re-watch the entire series of Gilmore Girls? Did I really spend 3 months sleeping in late and spending my afternoons by the pool? There's just no way it's over! If you're like me and have had similar thoughts recently, I hate break it to you...but it really is over. But hey, if we have to start getting back to reality, we might as well make it fun! I've decided to do a little mini "Back to School" series for the next couple of posts. While a majority of it will be geared towards college freshman, a lot of it will still be applicable to people of all ages! So sit back and enjoy your last few nights of ice cream and Netflix while you start to think about the school year!
Ah, freshman year. What I would give to starting college from the beginning. I'm not going to lie though, I was NOT excited about college the way most people are. I actually loved high school, my friends, my family, my hometown, and the life I already had going for me. I was excited to get to buy all new stuff to decorate my new room with, but that's about as far as the excitement went. I was fortunate enough to move in early since I was a cheerleader and we had preseason camp. It was very empty and quiet and my parents got to pull up right to the door to unload my stuff. There were no lines or crowds to deal with. After what seemed like a lifetime, I was all moved in and said my goodbyes. 
The first few days and weeks seemed to crawl by and fly by all at the same time. While they are exciting, stressful, and packed with things to do, they are also the most important. If I could give any tips or advice to college freshman, this is what I would say:

1. Everything will be OK- You don't have to it all figured out yet. If you don't know what you want to major in, it's OK. You have 4 years to figure it out. One great thing about college is the freedom to pick your classes! Pick classes you think are interesting and go from there! If you don't have a ton of friends right away, it's OK. There are so many people to meet, but remember that relationships take time! Be nice to everyone and have an open mind!

2. Say yes to everything- Ok, well not EVERYTHING. Obviously don't just go off and do dangerous things or things that go against your sense of judgement just because you can. Another great thing about college is the plethora of opportunities that it opens up. Definitely read the flyers posted around everywhere. See something that catches your eye? Grab a friend and go check it out! Another great way to get involved is to go to the Student Activities Fair at the beginning of the year. You might feel awkward because of all the older students standing behind the tables trying to get your attention, but don't! They want to get to know you and want to have you be apart of their club/organization! If you're a little nervous and hesitant to commit to anything on the spot, take their info and add your name to the email list so you can think on it for a little bit!

3. Be who you want to be- College means many thing, but most importantly it means a fresh start. College means you get to put your past behind you. If you didn't make good grades in high school, then make it a priority to upgrade your study habits and make better grades in college. If you didn't like the type of friends you had or the type of people you hung out with in high school, then make a point to surround yourself with better people in college. If you were lazy and uninvolved in high school, then sign up for a few clubs or organizations and make a difference in college! College is your chance to be whoever you want to be, so make it count!

4. Study!!!- Yes, college is fun. College is freedom. College is no curfew. But college is also your last step before you hit the real world. You worked hard to get into college and your parents (or you) worked hard to pay for it. Grades are super important and you can't forget that. It is possible to have a social life, good grades, and good health, but you have to make all three a priority. It's ok to go out and have fun with your friends at night, but you also need to make sure you go to class the next morning. If you are having trouble finding motivation to get up and go to class, then I suggest looking up the GPA you need to get into whatever graduate school you want to go to, or divide up what your tuition is by how many classes you have to see how much money you're flushing down the toilet every time you hit snooze!

I hope these 4 little blurbs didn't bore you too much! I wish I knew these things when I started college and they are things I have learned through my own experience. Stay tuned what's to come in this back to school mini series! Have anything in particular you want to hear about? Let me know in the comments below!!




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!! I wish I could rewind and start college over knowing all these things!!

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! I know for me, college was so hard in the beginning, getting used to living on your own...trying to quickly make new friends...getting a handle on classes and coursework, it was rough! I love #3, because it's so true...be who you always wanted to be, because college is a chance to redefine yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found all of those to be huge challenges as well! Having a fresh start was so nice and definitely a great thing about college! Thanks so much for reading!!

      Delete
  3. These tips are definitely going to come in handy for me this year!! Thank you!

    xoxo, Mal

    malloryattheplaza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! I'm so glad to hear that, Mallory!! You're just going to love college! But just remember it can take a while to get adjusted in the beginning for some people, so don't freak out if that happens!! I remember my second semester of freshman year was a million times easier and more fun than the first! (The first is still loads of fun too though, you just have most of the kinks ironed out in the second!)

      Delete
  4. Literally what I would give to have my freshman year of college back. So much fun, way too much fun, but these are all so true. Great tips for incoming freshman! Also, loving your name haha

    Karsen

    sequinsandsundaymornings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey name twin! I really like how you spell yours!! And I know right?! I actually get jealous when I see them walking around lost and with name tags the first weeks of school!

      Delete
  5. [ Smiles ] A good attitude and good grades go well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too!! Thanks for reading!!

      Delete